Everything in my garden seems to be growing rather well. (That happens when it finally decides to be summer and shine some sunshine!) Some vegetables are already finishing the measure of their creation . . . my snow and snap peas are all done, but still so pretty with the color contrast.
My onions are acting funky . . . some of them don't seem to be bulbing out, and they're going to seed on the top. Kinda cool looking though . . . like little dinosaur heads emerging from an egg. (Can you tell I watched Jurassic Park recently?)
And then, while I was picking lettuce for dinner, I came upon this bright little fellow. That beautiful red romaine lettuce I planted provided a good backdrop for his photo session. Even though that lettuce is bolting, it still tastes good, and I can't bring myself to tear down this little guy's home.
Now this garden critter below . . . he's just plain old NOT WANTED! He got an eviction notice immediately, right down the sink. One less slug to munch on my lettuce. Yuck!
Then to cap off my little nature walk yesterday, I had to take a picture of my beautiful rose. I can't remember what it's name is, but the bush has been very prolific this summer. Maybe I'll reward it with some rose food soon . . .
The corn's a-growing, and my beans are about 3 inches long, just waiting to be put in my yummy basil viniagrette salad. As Charlotte would say, "Num, nums!"
I recently put up about 12 quarts of pickled beets and there's more to come. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go out front and dig up a potato plant to cook up some new potatoes, but if I do, that will be less to harvest at the end of the season. But, they're only "new" once . . . so I think I'll cave! (If you haven't tried new potatoes - the REAL ones out of someone's garden, not the grocery store's "new" potatoes - then you haven't truly lived. Oh my, they're almost like candy! Ask my kids.)
More on my garden later!



No comments:
Post a Comment